Lake Red Rock
Eagles soaring, crappie fishing, bike trails, camping under the stars and hours of recreation await you at Iowa’s largest lake: Lake Red Rock. Climb to the top of the Cordova Tower and enjoy a day at the beach.
Schedule of Events
Here's what's coming up:
- Nature's Fireworks: Fireflies Tue Jun 3, 2014
- Backcountry Survivors Sat Jun 21, 2014
- Birdwatching Hike Sat Jun 21, 2014
- Geocaching Sat Jun 28, 2014
- Create a Mosaic for the Playscape Thu Jul 3, 2014
- What's In The Water? Sat Jul 5, 2014
- Kids' Craft Day Wed Jul 9, 2014
- Junior Rangers Thu Jul 10, 2014
- Survivor Red Rock Fri Jul 11, 2014
- Let's Go Muddin! Sun Jul 13, 2014
- Iowa History: Just Dig It! Fri Jul 18, 2014
- Slippery Slithering Scales and Slime Sat Jul 19, 2014
- Bird Banding Sat Jul 26, 2014
- Crawly Creatures: Iowa's Invertebrates Sat Jul 26, 2014
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat Jul 26, 2014
- Snake "Lunch Time" Sat Jul 26, 2014
- Playscape Craft Time Wed Jul 30, 2014
- Habitat and Population Sat Aug 2, 2014
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat Aug 2, 2014
- Sounds of Nature Sat Aug 2, 2014
- Hunt Like An Animal! Sun Aug 3, 2014
- Kids' Craft Day Wed Aug 6, 2014
- Precious Prairies Wed Aug 6, 2014
Things you wont' want to miss:
- "Stu" Kuyper Trail
- Carlson-Kuyper Field Station/Central College
- Coal Ridge Church & Museum
- Cordova Boat Ramp
- Cordova Butterfly Garden
- Cordova Observation Tower
- Cordova Park
- Eagle Lair Loop
- Elk Rock East Boat Ramp
- Elk Rock Equestrian Trail
- Elk Rock State Park
- Elk Rock West Boat Ramp
- Fifield Park
- Gladys Black Bald Eagle Refuge
- Horn's Ferry Bridge
- Howell Station Boat Ramp
- Howell Station Prairie Trail
- Howell Station Recreation Area
- Karr Nature Trail at Cordova
- Lake Red Rock
- Marina Cove/Red Rock Marina
- Mushroom Hunting
- North Overlook
- North Overlook Beach
- North Overlook Trail
- North Tailwater
- Public Hunting Areas
- Red Rock Dam
- Red Rock Line
- Red Rock Marina
- Red Rock Visitor Center
- Red Rock Water Trail
- Roberts Creek
- Roberts Creek Archery Range
- Roberts Creek Disc Golf Course
- Roberts Creek East Boat Ramp
- Roberts Creek Park
- Roberts Creek West Boat Ramp
- South Overlook
- South Overlook Boat Ramp
- South Tailwater
- Volksweg Trail
- Wallashuck Boat Ramp
- Wallashuck Trail
- Whitebreast Beach
- Whitebreast Boat Ramp
Lake Red Rock is one of Iowa's premier bird watching areas, with more than 50,000 acres of nature. Spring and fall migration offer species of many types. In the winter, bald eagles take center stage. Pack your binoculars, identification book or zoom camera lens to be part of this fine birding tradition.
Many of the park areas and campgrounds around Lake Red Rock are named after towns that were located on the banks of the Des Moines River before Lake Red Rock was built. Red Rock itself was a colorful town with a rich history. Many old timers around the area still share stories of the towns that now lie beneath the lake.
If you are camping at Lake Red Rock, be sure to look for campground programs presented by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers covering a wide array of topics. It’s a great evening activity to add to your vacation. Programs move between campgrounds, so stop by the Red Rock Visitor’s Center to get a copy of the schedule.
The Cordova Observation Tower measures over 100 feet tall. Each year in June during Red Rock Fest, there is an annual race up the tower. Racers from all around come to test their stair-climbing skills. Top racers last year finished the climb in less than 30 seconds.
One of the most popular new events at Lake Red Rock is the Red Nose Ice Fishing Tournament at Roberts Creek. This event has great prizes and provides a fun atmosphere for those who love the sport. For more information on this new tradition, go to www.lakeredrock.org.
Lake Red Rock at sunset.
Lake Red Rock is one of the premier birding areas in the United States. Spring and Fall migration bring a whole host of feathered friends. Bald Eagles enjoy handing out around the dam area during the winter months.
With over 15,000 surface acres of water, Lake Red Rock has plenty of water to explore for boaters, fishermen and paddlers.
Lake Red Rock has over 50,000 acres of public land available for recreation and enjoying our natural world. Pictured is the Volksweg Trail which connects park areas on the north side of the lake and below the dam.
The Cordova Observation Tower provides a birds eye perspective on the entire lake area.
New water trail added at Lake Red Rock.
Geocaching and hiking are great activities to explore our trails.
There are 4 smaller cabins.
Living room in the cabins.
There are 3 larger cabins.
View of kitchen.
View of living room in larger cabins from upstairs balcony.
Tell us the types of activities you enjoy and we’ll help you organize your stay in the Red Rock Area.
- You have 0 new item saved.