Lake Red Rock
Eagles soaring, crappie fishing, bike trails, camping under the stars and hours of recreation await you at Iowa’s largest lake: Lake Red Rock. Climb to the top of the Cordova Tower and enjoy a day at the beach.
Schedule of Events
Here's what's coming up:
- Froggin' Hike Fri May 24, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat May 25, 2013
- Bobber the Water Safety Dog Cartoons Sat May 25, 2013 – Mon May 27, 2013
- Building the Red Rock Dam Fri May 31, 2013
- Birdwatching Hike Sat Jun 1, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat Jun 1, 2013
- Young Naturalists - Pond Critters Wed Jun 5, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Fri Jun 7, 2013
- Let’s Go Fly a Kite! Sat Jun 8, 2013
- Kid's Craft Day Wed Jun 12, 2013
- Red Rock: The Town Beneath the Lake Fri Jun 14, 2013
- Bird Banding Sat Jun 15, 2013
- Pond Exploration Sat Jun 15, 2013
- Family Time at the Beach Wed Jun 19, 2013
- Junior Rangers Thu Jun 20, 2013
- Survivor Red Rock Fri Jun 21, 2013
- Bike Safety Check and Mini Rodeo Sat Jun 22, 2013
- Fish Sampling: A Shocking Demo! Sat Jun 22, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat Jun 22, 2013
- Cub Scout Activity Badge Day (for Webelos) Wed Jun 26, 2013
- Geocaching Basics Fri Jun 28, 2013
- River Critters (paddling program) Sat Jun 29, 2013
- Young Naturalists - Area Wildlife Wed Jul 3, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Thu Jul 4, 2013
- Nature's Fireworks: Fireflies Fri Jul 5, 2013
- Pond Exploration Sat Jul 6, 2013
- The "World's Worst Camper" Sat Jul 6, 2013
- Kid's Craft Day Wed Jul 10, 2013
- Let’s Go Fly a Kite! Fri Jul 12, 2013 – Sat Jul 13, 2013
- Lake Red Rock Balloon Fest Fri Jul 12, 2013 – Sun Jul 14, 2013
- Campground Wildlife Sat Jul 13, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat Jul 13, 2013
- Family Time at the Beach Wed Jul 17, 2013
- Junior Rangers Thu Jul 18, 2013
- Survivor Red Rock Fri Jul 19, 2013
- Amazing Mollusks! Freshwater Mussels Sat Jul 20, 2013
- Geocaching 301 Sat Jul 20, 2013
- Creatures of the Night Hike Fri Jul 26, 2013
- Geocaching Basics Sat Jul 27, 2013
- "Cold-Blooded" Critters: Ectotherms of Iowa Fri Aug 2, 2013
- Pond Exploration Sat Aug 3, 2013
- Kid's Craft Day Wed Aug 7, 2013
- Evening Paddle to Hickory Ridge Fri Aug 9, 2013
- Let’s Go Fly a Kite! Sat Aug 10, 2013
- Red Rock: The Town Beneath the Lake Sat Aug 10, 2013
- Historic Bridge Weekend - Tour of the Bridges of Marion County Sun Aug 11, 2013
- Family Time at the Beach Wed Aug 14, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Fri Aug 16, 2013
- Geocaching Basics Sat Aug 17, 2013
- Shoreline Rock Walk Fri Aug 23, 2013
- Butterfly Safari Sat Aug 24, 2013
- Tree I.D. Walk Sat Aug 24, 2013
- Creatures of the Night Hike Fri Aug 30, 2013
- Let's Go Paddling! Sat Aug 31, 2013
- Shoreline Rock Walk Sun Sep 1, 2013
- Monarch Watch: Butterfly Tagging Fri Sep 13, 2013
Things you wont' want to miss:
- "Stu" Kuyper Trail
- Carlson-Kuyper Field Station/Central College
- Coal Ridge Church & Museum
- Cordova Boat Ramp
- Cordova Butterfly Garden
- Cordova Observation Tower
- Eagle Lair Loop
- Elk Rock East Boat Ramp
- Elk Rock Equestrian Trail
- Elk Rock West Boat Ramp
- Gladys Black Bald Eagle Refuge
- Horn's Ferry Bridge
- Howell Station Boat Ramp
- Howell Station Prairie Trail
- Karr Nature Trail at Cordova
- Lake Red Rock
- Mushroom Hunting
- North Overlook Beach
- North Overlook Trail
- Public Hunting Areas
- Red Rock Dam
- Red Rock Line
- Red Rock Marina
- Red Rock Visitors Center
- Robert Creek Archery Range
- Roberts Creek
- Roberts Creek Disc Golf Course
- Roberts Creek East Boat Ramp
- Roberts Creek Nature Trail
- Roberts Creek West Boat Ramp
- South Overlook Boat Ramp
- Volksweg Trail
- Wallashuck Boat Ramp
- Wallashuck Trail
- Whitebreast Beach
- Whitebreast Boat Ramp
Lake Red Rock is one of Iowa's premier bird watching areas, with more than 50,000 acres of nature. Spring and fall migration offer species of many types. In the winter, bald eagles take center stage. Pack your binoculars, identification book or zoom camera lens to be part of this fine birding tradition.
Many of the park areas and campgrounds around Lake Red Rock are named after towns that were located on the banks of the Des Moines River before Lake Red Rock was built. Red Rock itself was a colorful town with a rich history. Many old timers around the area still share stories of the towns that now lie beneath the lake.
If you are camping at Lake Red Rock, be sure to look for campground programs presented by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers covering a wide array of topics. It’s a great evening activity to add to your vacation. Programs move between campgrounds, so stop by the Red Rock Visitor’s Center to get a copy of the schedule.
The Cordova Observation Tower measures over 100 feet tall. Each year in June during Red Rock Fest, there is an annual race up the tower. Racers from all around come to test their stair-climbing skills. Top racers last year finished the climb in less than 30 seconds.
One of the most popular new events at Lake Red Rock is the Red Nose Ice Fishing Tournament at Roberts Creek. This event has great prizes and provides a fun atmosphere for those who love the sport. For more information on this new tradition, go to www.lakeredrock.org.
Lake Red Rock at sunset.
Lake Red Rock is one of the premier birding areas in the United States. Spring and Fall migration bring a whole host of feathered friends. Bald Eagles enjoy handing out around the dam area during the winter months.
With over 15,000 surface acres of water, Lake Red Rock has plenty of water to explore for boaters, fishermen and paddlers.
Lake Red Rock has over 50,000 acres of public land available for recreation and enjoying our natural world. Pictured is the Volksweg Trail which connects park areas on the north side of the lake and below the dam.
The Cordova Observation Tower provides a birds eye perspective on the entire lake area.
New water trail added at Lake Red Rock.
Geocaching and hiking are great activities to explore our trails.
There are 4 smaller cabins.
Living room in the cabins.
There are 3 larger cabins.
View of kitchen.
View of living room in larger cabins from upstairs balcony.
Tell us the types of activities you enjoy and we’ll help you organize your stay in the Red Rock Area.
- You have 0 new item saved.